Friday 20 September 2013

MOTHERHOOD: Joys & Celebration


It has been described as being ‘indescribable’. An awesome feeling. The most out-of-this-world experience. A beautiful thing. Quite common, but still beautiful nonetheless. An amazing happening that gets even more amazing each and every time it happens.. Prior pains of maternal labour transcended into sweet golden moments enveloped with heavenly emotions… The birthing of a child. Earth’s newest, littlest occupant. A majestic entrance into an expecting world.  It is the beginning, but it’s quite possibly the absolute pinnacle of our very existence.. Of course, all lovingly guided by a woman. By women. By a mother. By mothers.  Welcome to a celebration. Welcome to the joys of motherhood.


All across the world, our mothers should be revered; their love and essence engraved in whatever modicum of permanence available to us. Thankfully, they usually are; moreso in our immediate society.  Hear these popular lyrics:  "If I no sleep, my mother no go sleep", "Monkey no fine but e mama like am", "Soup wey my mama cook, na e sweet pass", "Who sat and watched my infant head when sleeping in my cradle bed..", "Sweet mother, I no go forget you, for the suffer wey you suffer for me eh.."  Reading all that and recalling the tunes will no doubt bring an appreciative and perhaps nostalgic smile to our hearts. Beautiful compositions indeed, but even those pleasant lyrics don’t come close to scratching the surface of describing just how much our mothers mean to us. Yes, our mamas mean all that and so much more.

To say no-one else can replace our mothers is an understatement of epic proportions. Mothers are innately created to dispense love. See a mother, and you’ve seen sacrifice. See a mother, and you’ve seen determination. See a mother and you’ve seen strength. A true mother equals unending love. A true mother equals telepathic instincts. A true mother equals life.. In ultimate words - Nothing, absolutely nothing, is so strong as true gentleness shown by a mother.. Nothing, absolutely nothing, is so gentle as real strength shown by a mother.  Beautiful.

What wouldn’t a mother do?  Loving protection and shelter of our unborn selves for nine hard months? Check.  Intense labour pains laced with a courageous determination to birth us? Check.  Sleepless nights uncomfortably interwoven with the putrid smell of our baby diapers? Check.  Dutifully pausing her life to dedicatedly nurture us through our infant years? Check.  Selling off jewelry just to see us through school? Check.  Hawking akara along highways just to pay our bills and make ends meet? Check.  Gleefully boasting about us despite our shortcomings? Check.  Being proud of us no matter how modest our achievements might be? Check.  Making sure we aren’t seen as second class citizens in the society? Check.  A life buoy? A constant backbone? Our last resort? Check. Check. Check. Hmm.. at this point, I’m speechless. I love my mother. I really do. I just have to. Absolutely.

‘It is a man’s world’, is the usual saying. Well, probably true, considering the set-up of our contemporary society. With hindsight however, yes it may seem a man’s world, but it is with a woman’s permission! Technically then, it might just be a woman's world. Afterall, as we all commonly know, behind every great man is an even greater woman, but I digress. So, allow me re-phrase: It IS a mothers’ world. My World, My Mother; Our World, Our Mothers.  Fathers, be jealous, be very very jealous!  Having said that though, and on a much lighter note; considering the fact that this author is male and a hopeful future father, I will still attempt to "out-mother" my wife. Wish me luck in my quest to turn the tables. Hopefully, I give her a run for her money. Future wife, be prepared!

Mothers...   Imagine a world without them. Actually, that’s easy to do as there would simply be no world without them.

Mothers...   The purveyors of a nine-month placental bond which lovingly reverberates over a life time.

Mothers...   Our very own rare gems who ironically, are graciously abound around us.

Mothers...   The very essence of selfless care, tender nurture and uninhibited love, so pure and true.

Mothers...   How do we even begin to show gratitude and appreciation?

Mothers...   No more words. They are simply special.

                        Hold your mother.. Hug your mother.
                             Kiss your mother.. Love your mother.    
                                        Mothers deserve it.

                            I love my mother.. We love our mothers.

                            For My Mother.. For Our Mothers.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so in love with dis article.....nice work shady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, me too! It's one my 'pet' articles I've written. Thanks a bunch!

      Delete
  2. This is simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose. Dedicated to all mothers.. You guys rock! *smiley face*
      But you should write your name along with your comment so I'd know who it is. I know it's you now cos you just texted me and said you commented. So next time, just specify your name along with your comment to save you the double stress. Thanks hun

      Delete
  3. Erm... For our mother! You're not an only child duh! ( ˘˘̯) ... BEAUTIFUL piece!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehehe.. Do I smell envy? Lol..
      Yea, I'm def not an only child, but the trick is to read the article like you wrote a personal ode to your mother.. Then, you'll get it.. *wink wink*
      Thanks for the compliment.. *big smile*

      Delete
  4. nice article....... wow ur d bomb.

    ReplyDelete