Saturday 21 September 2013

LET'S TALK ABOUT ABORTION

Abortion. An act that is quite prevalent and heavily permeated in almost every society. Ironically, it is also an act that seems an abomination and usually spoken about in hushed tones. Not so anymore. Today, we address the elephant in the room. Today, we talk about abortion, unsentimentally - With rationality. With logic. With common sense.


The furore generated by the recent abortion bill in one of the states in the country still lingers. An extremely sensitive issue that has seemingly divided almost anybody with a functional brain into two clear camps: The 'Pro-Abortion' and The 'Anti-Abortion'. There is simply no fence-sitting about this. No-one seems passive on the topic. I have yet to meet anybody who is indifferent on said subject. Everyone apparently has an opinion which they strongly believe, whether For or Against.

So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the differing stances of the warring camps:

The Pro-Abortionists {mainly comprised of liberal governments, cross-sections of largely unsentimental citizens, Pro-Mothers’ groups, western influences, and presumably, the women wanting said abortions!} – This faction believes that the reproductive rights and the medical/psychological health concerns of the mother should be held to the utmost. They believe that the mother has the right to decide whether or not to carry the unborn foetus to full term since she would be the one to be responsible for it afterwards. In passing government bills for the legalization of abortion, they state that such bills would eliminate intimate violence in private and public life, prohibit sexual, psychological and domestic abuse as well as help regress harmful traditional practices. For them, these steps would enable every woman to enjoy reproductive rights and also the rights to medical abortion in cases of intimate assaults, molestation and inbreeding. They insist that medical abortion should be legalized in cases where the pregnancy endangers the life and (or) the physical, mental, psychological, emotional health of the mother.

The Anti-Abortionists {mainly comprised of conservative governments, citizens with sentimental leanings, religious groups, Pro-Child's activists, and cultural traditionalists} – This faction simply has one belief: Abortion is murder. Full-stop. For them, abortion, no matter the preceeding circumstances, is tantamount to snuffing the life out of a living thing. This camp usually don’t seek to propagate laws as they simply revert to various religious books and cultural traditional teachings in order to back up their case. Morality, religion, culture and tradition are their watchwords. Unsurprisingly, and somewhat fittingly, they are also known as the 'Pro-Life' group. They argue that abortion is definitely murder, since to them, life begins at conception; an assertion which is very much in stark contrast to that of the Pro-Abortionists.

Invariably, this leads us to the heavily debated question - Where then does life begin?.. At fertilization? At birth? At some random point during our nine-month gestative course? Well, to the best of my knowledge, no true absolute answer has yet been proffered as there seem to be different responses being bandied about. Hmm.. one of the mysteries of life, perhaps? However, I digress as that is not the aim of this article. So for now, we shall leave that question to the scientists and religionists to duke it out and hopefully come up with a universal answer eventually.

Sometimes, when I personally go through the arguments of the Pro-Abortionists, I can’t help but relate to their assertions. It’s seemingly filled with rational thinking, backed by generous drops of common sense and quite frankly, no apparent logical loopholes. Because, let’s face it, the concerns for the medical well-being and stigma eradication of a mother we can physically see are far greater than the uncertain life of an unborn foetus {cell? zygote? embryo?} which we barely even know, right? WRONG!!! screams the Anti-Abortionist! Because to him, ALL life is equal, cellular zygote or not! Again, an atom of logic in that assertion too… Ahh.. This is turning out to be a no-win situation for both parties.


BUT, and there's always a but, a no-win situation is never good for anybody, right? Right. Hence, a helpful compromise has to be reached. Permitted exceptions to the rules, if you like. A sort of peace treaty between the battling camps in this war of abortion.. Consequently then, positives should be filtered and implemented from both stances. Medical abortion could be legalized, and as a last resort, if and only if such procedure serves as a preventive measure for when pregnancy endangers the life of the mother or harmfully affects her physical, mental, psychological or emotional health and well-being. In the same vein, it could also serve as a panacea in cases of intimate assault {rape}, molestation and inbreeding.

With this template however, the fear of the abuse of the system arises. There might be a proliferation of abortion cases as people who hitherto weren’t qualified for the procedure could attempt to cheat the system by posing as victims. This is where the government comes in. Well equipped medical centres should be provided and staffed with competent medical personnel who would be properly sanitized on the absoluteness of the use of the abortion procedure. It should be seen as the absolute last resort and be used only when it is undoubtedly necessary after judicious weighing of the consequences. The keyword here should be 'medical abortion' – Abortion done only when it is absolutely medically {or psychologically} necessary. That way, we at least don’t feel guilty over the lost foetus because we have medically/psychologically saved the mother and primed her in condition where she can hopefully have another foetus {this time, carried to birth} in future.

So, can the warring parties please sheathe their swords? No?

As I think of what to type in order to conclude this article, I can’t help but overhear two of my colleagues with opposing stances arguing fervently about this same hydra-headed topic, Abortion…

*Pro-Abortion colleague:  "So, you're forcing a woman who was violently raped to go through the terrible trauma of carrying a foetus for nine hard months and birthing the baby just to satisfy your moral sensibilities? You care nothing about the the psychological health of the mother, the well-being of the child without a father or even the stigmatization the child would endure as a product of molestation! All you care about is just to massage your religious ego to achieve a false moral high. Pathetic. What if that mother was your sister? How would you feel??"

*Anti-Abortion colleague:  "Shut up! What if YOU were aborted? Would you have collected your salary this month?!!"

That last response induces a chuckle from me which in turn alerts them to my presence as their eyes simultaneously dart across to where I’m seated. As they both beseechingly look to me in order to get my opinion, I can’t help but to begin stammering before blurting out:-   
"Well, I think, er, um, yeah, you see guys, I'm eternally grateful that Nelson Mandela wasn't aborted. I'm glad and appreciative that the world got to experience such a great man. I'm indeed certainly relieved that his mother didn't abort him...  Adolf Hitler? well, not so much!"..

Dear readers, please kindly make of all that what you will..


Needless to say, the fire still burns and the war still rages, I guess.. 

24 comments:

  1. Wow.. Speechless..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm nice one!!but 4rm my own perspective think bth d pro nd anti abortionist are both ryt,but looking @ it biblically "murder"is a sin. But the thought of bringing in a child u aint ready to show love nd affection is killing nt to talk of the girl's psychological state during the period.whew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, thanks folks for all the nice words, much appreciated.
    @Kaccy, yeah it's really a sensitive issue I guess. But that's the whole point of the article. If you view it's viewed with rationality and common sense, then there's only one way to go - which was proffered in the write-up - 'medical abortion'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, one small observation - Folks, if you don't have a google account, and you're gonna comment as 'Anonymous', please be kind enough to say who you are, maybe write your name along with your comment so I'd know who it is.. You see, reading a comment by a person named 'Anonymous' makes me slightly edgy. It gives me the creeps! Cos, for all I know, an 'Anonymous' might just be, um, the Syrian army spying on my unimportant ass! Lol. So yeah, at least y'all get the idea. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urm... your unimportant ass... well you said so yourself.

    This is a very sensitive topic... but all I will say is that DON'T DO THE ACT IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO KEEP AND ENDURE THE AFTER EFFECT OF YOUR ACT.

    But in the case of Rape... I WOULD SAY DON'T BRING A CHILD TO LIFE WHEN YOU ARE NOT READY TO BE A LOVING AND CARING PARENT TO THAT CHILD. YOU HAVE ALOT TO DEAL.WITH ALREADY. BRING FORTH A CHILD TO LIFE WHEN YOU ARE READY TO TAKE DUE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CHILD.

    Lets reduce the rate of Abortions. .. CHILDREN ARE GIFTS TO US.


    Nyce 1 MR VILLAIN




    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't stop writing! Proud of you-thought provoking indeed-
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm.. Cool view Steph. Nice. I take it that you're therefore in the Anti-Abortion camp, right? That's cool, I guess, but aren't you forgetting about women who unwillingly became pregnant by being raped? Or women with medical issues like VVF where its either the pregnancy or the mother's life? Yeah, thought so..
    And yes, my ass is quite unimportant especially if you're gonna consider the bigger issue of Syrian war and all that.. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one bro....well said. Morally, Abortion is a huge sin. Nevetheless, to save a mother's life, I don't think its that bad. What we need to face squarely is our criminal justice system. Althouh statutes provide for abortion as "unlawful homocide" and provides for the punishment of rape to be life imprisonment, hw many rapists actually serve this term? The government should enforce these laws rather than just codify them.If we have a rape free society, we can erradicate "emotional abortion"(rape victims). If a girl/lady/woman wasn't raped nd is not going through any medical problems with having a child, she should be made to have that child or serve gross/severe punishment! I think the first thing to address in facing the offence of abortion is our criminal justice system.
    Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, very very insightful, Jenny. Yep, its unarguable that a rape free society would greatly reduce the necessity of medical abortion. Very true. But this article was written with the presumption that a rape free society is almost like 'utopia'. Basically - wishful thinking. Most likely won't happen, what with the kinda government we have in this part of the world. Governments that are still struggling to build good roads! Laughable, really... Excellent view, all the same. Very well said.

    *SIDENOTE* I see you bombarding me with all your lawyer terminologies eh?! You sha wanna mumble my brain abi. No thanks! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ur right shady, medical abortion should be legalized. But to those who abort cos d pregnancy was a mistake, that's murder mehnn,n come to thnk of it,dat baby cud turn out to be d best thng dat cud eva happen to u. Nice work,thank God u wernt aborted(winks). Ifot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ifot! Loool! Thank God I wasn't aborted hehehe
    Yea I get, but I don't think the issue is what the baby's gonna turn out to be, it's more an issue of the immediate health concerns of the mother.. Cos if u wanna look at it from that way, then, er, Einstein and Hitler were once foetuses, abi? Right, so I'm pretty sure we all wish one of them was aborted, and we know who it is!... Na joke ooo! Just kidding. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice 1, shady! Really nice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice going bro,,,I'm mostly speechless at ur exhilarating views about a situation known to us all,,,I don't know where I stand,,but both views are essentially eseential,,the pro-abortionist Ãήϑ the pro-life group generally has a point,,,but honestly I think abortion under ill respected circumstances should be legalized in cases like rape,,if the assaulted generally possess either an affinity or hatred for the foetus,,as she considers the said baby,, a curse or a blessing in disguse,,which in many circumstances,,stigmatism is mainly the case,,,I read a post earlier Ãήϑ I quote "I WOULD SAY DON'T BRING A CHILD TO LIFE, IF YOU ARE NOT READY TO BE A PARENT TO THAT CHILD"... This generally supports the stands of the pro-abortionist,,cause how will she get rid of the child in a case where she really don't need the child Ãήϑ can't be a fun loving parent based on how the baby was conceived???. Legalization only creates an option,,choosing a qualified doctor or a quack,,cause legalization or not,,a girl's mind made on abortion will carry out the said abortion through a quack or a crazy means detrimental to her health...so after this long notes,,,ma point is mainly this...LEGALIZATION ONLY PROMOTES AN OPTION FOR A SAFE PROCESS AND PRESAVATION.....thanks u all,,,once again,,,nice one bro

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Emmanuel.. Nice view bro.. "Essentially Essential".. Hmm, I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm actually impressed with this article but I'd like something much more touchy. Something that can send a message of guilt trip to the guilty ones out there. Something that when read people just can help but to smile n cry at the same time. Nice work Bro. Sky is your beginning

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, thanks Floxie. Much appreciated... Concerning the topic, you say you want something 'touchy' and 'guilt-inducing'? Well, I didn't exactly write the article in order to point fingers or to induce guilt, I simply wrote it so we could look at the abortion issue with common sense/rationality, and not necessarily 'emotion'. From the article, you'd see that both camps have their merits and de-merits, thus this write-up (which is my view, by the way), just serves as a way of coming to a middle ground and finding a helpful compromise, and doing so while using 'common sense' as a watchword.. I hope you understand sha
    Once again, thanks for your comment and commendation, very very much appreciated! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. FOR BETTER FOR WORSE
    “Bend down” he screams once again.
    You will think I am a soldier being warned of an incoming bullet. The screaming has no emotions in it. It’s the kind a commander gives to his soldier. But you see, I’m no soldier BUT a woman in her house in Lagos. The yelling is from the man of the house, I must obey so I go on my knees. His clothes will be off a few seconds from now, he will slap and hit me hard, Like I’m a stripper he picked up from a club. Mind you, I am no stripper, just a loving wife, and a mother to my son Tunde. I said it, it’s been approximately thirty seconds, he is done with me now. He pushes me so hard away “Are you done Wole?” “Enough with the stupid questions” he says, as he meticulously inspects what lies between his legs “I just want to know for sure” “If I hear another word, you won’t like what I’d do to you” he means every word he says. He is my general, I must be subservient at all times. Unless I want to see his wrath. How can a fragile woman like me fight with a Titan?“I’m sorry” I say I’m forever indebted to the word sorry, it has become my get away ticket. It takes me away from Wole’s fists, sometimes the ticket is not paid in full and I still get a slap. I mentioned camouflage trousers earlier; I have worn them for a long time now, not as clothes, but on my skin. The scars. Some are dry like kernels, others are fresh like ogiri. It wasn’t always like this you see, ten years ago when I met Wole at a church conference in Oshodi, he was so different and sweet. “Your blessings have arrived” He screamed from the pulpit,We all chorused the hallelujah. he was our prayer leader, always with the wine coloured bible,always having encouraging words to say. He asked me to be his wife on a rainy evening. I remember he knelt in front of the pulpit with a ring in his hands. “Be my wife Angela, I promise to love you as long as I breathe” I was excited, I jumped and screamed, he knew the answer before I could even say a word .Now as I sit in this big house with the swinging chandeliers and leather cushions, I’m not sure I understand what love is. “Do you love me?” I asked him sometime last year, he had just come back from ą camp meeting. Wole is one of the biggest pastors in the country; I’m proud of him, trust me I am. I wasn’t quite sure he heard me, so I asked again “Wole do you still love me?” “You have me, that’s what is important” I knew his answer came with ribbons and knots, he had sealed the question. All of a sudden love was now Wole. So long as I have Wole I have love. His presence is supposed to make me happy, I’m meant to scream and bend my head for him to pat, like his members do. I signed off for love not for this. I loved everything he was in Oshodi, and will gladly trade Lekki to go back to the Oshodi version of Wole. The Wole that wore faded shirts and jump up trousers. His Lekki version is killing me, eating me up like Termites would eat wood. Tomorrow is a Sunday. I will wear my hat with the golden embroidery, and the gown I bought from my trip to England last month, with the brown shoes that can feed a family in Makoko for one week. I will wear a smile for several hours, nod my head and raise my hands up when Wole drops another rhema. His members would be shell shocked if they got to learn just a bit of their spiritual father. A man that screams “Bend down” before sex and tears my undies if I refuse, a man that dipped my face into the hot Eba I served him because there was no periwinkle in the soup. They will call me a liar; these people will jump from third mainland bridge if Wole tells them to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Three years back, when I was still pregnant, Wole came back from the office very late one night “Where is my food” he asked “My love, I have been weak all day, I tried to go into the kitchen but just couldn’t” “So what do you want me to eat? You expect me to stay hungry because you’re pregnant?” “No honey, there is some food in the freezer, all you have to do is heat it up” “Ok” Few minutes later I felt an all too familiar kind of pain, I screamed. I didn’t have to turn around to know that he was using his belt on me, fast and hard strokes on my butt “Wole, the baby, please the baby, please” Those were the exact words I muttered. I slept sideways that night, If you have been pregnant before then I’m sure you know how uncomfortable that is. My stomach was heavy and sore, my butt was bleeding. When I gave birth to Tunde, Wole climbed the pulpit on the day of his dedication, he spoke about love and urged his members to make our marriage their mirror. I smiled and nodded my head, I did not want him to give me another face therapy at home, I was still nursing my bruised gum from the last slap. I hear and read things about feminists,that women should be equal to men. But I also believe that the terrain matters a lot, if I was a single lady on the street with a placard in my hands that would be different. From where I come from these things are seen as an abomination. Even certain women disagree “why woman wan follow man hold ten” is what they say. Physically Wole is stronger, financially he is too. If I leave my home people will mock me, and what will happen to my son. Its easier to criticise from outside, believe me its different once you are directly involved. Today I got a first aid kit, better late than never. Reality is an unscrupulous fellow. But I believe in it, and it says I must stick with Wole. For better for worse

    ReplyDelete
  20. AN ADULT LIKE ME

    ReplyDelete